The SCL Festival wants to encourage the inclusion of dance performances, which is why we created a special category called “Music+Dance”. The groups in this category will present dancing performers accompanied by a music ensemble (ie. an orchestra, choir, band or also a folk ensemble).
The category will be celebratory, as varying ways of dancing from different times and cultures can’t be compared in a competition. However, the groups will receive feedback from our jurors.
The Ensembles take part in the following program:
- The opening ceremony (Konzerthaus)
- 2 workshops at the University of Music
- 2 additional performances in and around Vienna
- 1 performance in the Musikverein
- Closing ceremony in Vienna’s Town Hall
- Gala Winner´s Concert ticket included
During the celebration the participants may present a freely chosen program within a time period of 20 - 25 minutes. The following are suggestions from the Festival:
- Choreography to a traditional (folk) music piece from own country
- Choreography to a classical music (choir or instrumental) piece from own country
- Choreography from young emergent upcoming talented choreographer from own country
Your program for the additional performance should be around 25-55 minutes. The program can be freely chosen, if you want to it can also include all or parts of your celebration program.
Please be aware:
- The choice of music repertoire should be in line with the styles of music represented at the SCL Festival and amplification is not possible in many of the venues. The repertoire has to be accepted by the artistic director of the SCL Festival after applying ensembles submit recordings or scores.
- The space in locations such as the Musikverein is restricted; also the floors are not specifically made for dancing. Please choreograph or choose choreographies accordingly
The content of the workshops for Music+Dance ensembles will be tailor-made upon the individual needs and wishes of the group, focusing either on music or choreography.