In the Competition bands take part in the following program:
- The opening ceremony in St. Stephen’s Cathedral
- 2 workshops at the University of Music and one additional lecture
- 2 additional concerts in and around Vienna
- 1 performance before the jury in the Golden Hall of the Musikverein or in the Great Hall of the Konzerthaus
- If chosen by the jury: concert in the evening Gala Winners’ Concert in the Musikverein or in the Konzerthaus
- Closing ceremony in Vienna’s Town Hall
Within a maximum time period of 20 to 25 minutes the participants are required to present the following pieces to the jury:
- the compulsory piece (see below);
- one piece by a composer of the ensemble's home country;
- additional piece(s) required in order to reach the minimum playing time, to be freely chosen.
The pieces not freely chosen are to be presented at the beginning of the program.
In the Celebration bands take part in the following program: